The Collie Courthouse was built on 1913 and is a heritage-listed building. In 1986 the building was partially destroyed by fire. The arsonists were never caught but the damage led to the building being renovated to include a new magistrates chambers, indoor toilet and a small kitchen.
These modifications were made to blend in with the heritage of the building. More recently the building has had a disabled ramp affixed to the front verandah and the front counter has had a face-lift making it more accessible to the disabled.
The workload has fluctuated over the years and in 1998 the courthouse took on the role as agent for the Department of Transport which solidified the court's role in Collie.
The court is currently staffed by the clerk of the court and three part-time officers and is serviced by the magistrate from Bunbury twice a month.
Last updated: 1-Sep-2015
[ back to top ]