The Victim Support Service is committed to promoting the rights and addressing the needs of anyone who has suffered harm from crime. If you have been a victim of a crime and have to give evidence at court, or if you want to observe the court case, support is available.
This special assistance is provided by a dedicated group of volunteers who are trained by the Victim Support Service.
Volunteers from the Victim Support Service can:
- meet with you before the court case to help you understand how the courts and legal system operate
- show you around the court beforehand so you are familiar with where you have to go on the day of the court case
- show you where the facilities for witnesses and victims of crime are at the court, such as special care rooms or victim support rooms
- be with you in court or while you are waiting to give evidence and spend some time with you after court
- give you information about other services available to victims of crime
- refer you to the counsellors at the Victim Support Service
- give you information about how to claim witness fees and information about criminal injuries compensation.
[ back to top ]