Frequently Asked Questions

What is a court fine?

A court fine is a monetary penalty handed down by judge, magistrate or justice of the peace in a Western Australian court. You may receive a court fine for an offence such as drink-driving, disorderly behaviour, theft or a drug-related crime. The fine may be your whole sentence or just part of it.

When you receive a fine by a court in Western Australia, you should deal with the matter as soon as possible, as enforcement action can commence within 28 days of the fine being issued. You can do this by making a one-off payment for the full amount, or by making arrangements for time-to-pay, which will involve making regular payment instalments.

What is an infringement notice?

Infringement notices are issued by the police, local government authorities and various other prosecuting agencies, either in person or through the post. You can get infringements for things like speeding, illegal parking, not registering your car, littering or failing to have safety equipment on a boat.

If you do not pay your infringement notice by the due date, it is referred to the Fines Enforcement Registry. The infringement notice then becomes a court order and further fees are added to the original amount.

Failing to pay an infringement notice can result in the loss of a driver's or vehicle licence, immobilisation of your vehicle or seizure and sale of your property, even if the offence was not traffic related.

What is the Fines Enforcement Registry (FER)?

The Fines Enforcement Registry is part of the Court and Tribunal Services division of the Department of the Attorney General.

The Fines Enforcement Registry enforces outstanding fines from numerous prosecuting authorities and all of Western Australia's courts. Matters are referred to the Fines Enforcement Registry where further sanctions may be imposed on fine defaulters to collect fines.

How can I contact the FER?

The Fines Enforcement Registry can be contacted on 1300 650 235 (Mobile/International Callers: (08) 9235 0235), between 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays), or email

Alternatively, queries can be made in person at your nearest Magistrates Court.

How do I pay my fine(s)?

There are a range of options available to pay your fines, including online, by phone, BPAY, in person, by regular direct debit instalments or via deductions from Centrelink payments.

Do I have to pay all of my fine(s) at once?

If you do not have the means to pay a fine in full, you can apply for a time-to-pay arrangement with the Fines Enforcement Registry. This allows you to pay off your fines by instalments. To assist you in this process direct debit from your nominated bank account or deductions from your Centrelink payments are readily available. By making time-to-pay arrangements early, you will avoid additional enforcement fees.

What will happen if I don't pay my fines or infringements?

If you don't pay your court fines, further penalties can be imposed, including:

If you don't pay your infringement notices, further penalties can be imposed, including:

How can I find out if my licence is suspended?

You can search the licence suspension database online to find out if your driver's licence is suspended and for what offences the suspension relates to. You can also contact the Fines Enforcement Registry on 1300 650 235 (Overseas or Mobile Callers: (08) 9235 0235) or email

You should also remember to keep your records updated with the Department of Transport whenever you change address.

How do I find out if I have a fine or infringement?

Contact the Fines Enforcement Registry on 1300 650 235 (Overseas or Mobile Callers: (08) 9235 0235), between 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays), or email

Note: Fines Enforcement Registry can only advise on the fines that have been registered with them. There may well be other fines, which have not yet been registered and for those you will need to contact the issuing authority.

Last updated: 21-Nov-2017

[ back to top ]